Thursday, May 15, 2008

Finding Good Food!

So I recently started a blog and then deleted it...because I didn't think I'd have the time to dedicate to making it of real value. However, I've been lucky to have some good info fall into my lap and supplement my lonely link. Plus something is better than nothing...onto my blog...
Recently I read an amazing book called The Omnivore's Dilemma. It really clarified some things for me related to the food we eat and the confusion around it. Reading it does not make you a radical. It merely educates you on a multitude of perspectives relative to food (things I've questioned for a long time) and enlightens you on where food comes from, why it's important to know that, and how to deal with the confusing issues about what to eat. It was on the NY Times Best Sellers list for a reason. I am happy to lend it to anyone wanting to read it. Chapter One can be accessed from the link below. I am hoping that my tree hugger personality does not negate the value of the information my blog contains.

To the matter at hand. Upon reading a recent article on USA Today and other places about the FDA declaring that cloned meat is safe to eat and fine to sell in grocery stores probably without any differentiating labels, I decided that I wanted to find ways to ensure my family is eating good food. The purpose of my blog is to solicit the wisdom of the crowds (to use my work-speak) to make the information I learn or that others want to contribute available to my friends. This is the beginning of that. There will continue to be more come. Any contributions are welcome.

Sites of interest (more info to come)
www.goldfinchfarm.com - a very cool farm with some really neat programs (and recipes for that matter)

www.pasafarming.org - website for the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA)

www.localharvest.org - website for finding a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) near you (or anyone else in the country)

www.organicconsumers.org - good site with all kinds of good info

http://www.apppa.org/for_our_customers.htm- Pastured Poultry and lots of other cool information

http://www.eatwild.com/products/pennsylvania.html - I've been looking for this site for a while. Grassfed beef, pasture-raised poultry, and more. One steak at Bricco's in Harrisburg will help you understand how great Grassfed beef tastes compared to the alternatives. This site has great restaurants, markets, etc. Some are far, but there's a few near by.

http://slowfoodharrisburg.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/buying-local-beef/ - a great article with links to farms with Grassfed beef.

Grassfed farms:

This is the guide to buying local, grass-fed beef that was supposed to run with Sue's story on PennLive.

Chapel-Ridge Farm, 680 Barlow-Greenmount Road, Gettysburg, 334-4222or 334-5684, www.chapel-ridge.com. All-natural beef raised, sold atChapel Ridge Meat & Mercantile store 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays or byappointment.

Landisdale Farm, 838 Ono Road, Jonestown, Lebanon County, 865-6220:Grass-fed beef available at the farm by appointment.

Lil' Ponderosa Enterprises, 44 Ponderosa Road, Carlisle, 245-2820.Purebred Black Angus cattle raised on all-grass diet availablefrozen on farm by appointment.

Natural Acres Farm, 175 Maple Drive, Millersburg, 692-1000. Certified organic since 1999, selling Black Angus organic beef and all-natural beef from farm store open 9:30a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.

Tuscarora Lowlines, 409 Mountain Road, Millerstown, 589-7483. Grass-fed beef available by appointment.

Wil AR Farms, 76 Parker Road, Newville, 776-6552. Grass-fed beef
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Omnivore's Dilemma - Overview and link to Chapter One
http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

How to Grow Your Own Food (Make sure you check out the related WikiHows):
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Your-Own-Food

Wiser Earth: serves the people who are transforming the world. It is a community directory and networking forum that maps and connects non-governmental organizations and individuals addressing the central issues of our day: climate change, poverty, the environment, peace, water, hunger, social justice, conservation, human rights and more.
http://wiserearth.org/

Please feel free to add your comments or links below. Or you can certainly shoot me an email and I will update my blog.

No comments: